Thank you for using My Hong Kong Guide. Would you like to take a short survey to help us make it even better?
- International | English
- Australia | English
- Canada | English
- 中国內地 | 简体中文
- France | Français
- Deutschland | Deutsch
- India | English
- Indonesia | Bahasa Indonesia
- 日本 | 日本語
- 대한민국 | 한국어
- Malaysia | Bahasa Malaysia
- Nederland | Dutch
- New Zealand | English
- Россия | русский
- Southeast Asia | English
- España / América Latina | Español
Collection of personal information
To ensure the optimal user experience, when you first access My Hong Kong Guide, we ask for your permission to access and collect your personal information, such as your email address (for the purpose of account registration) as well as your current location, phone contacts and other information as listed below (for access to the full range of features provided by My Hong Kong Guide).
Below are the details on what information we may collect from you, how we use your information and what features are supported by that information. Please note that it is possible to manually override these features from your mobile device in relation to the App. You can check the settings of your mobile device for more information. However, doing so may prevent the App from functioning as intended.
We may access and collect the following information through My Hong Kong Guide.
- Identity: Connecting your Facebook or Weibo account with My Hong Kong Guide allows you to register for My Hong Kong Guide through these social media platforms and will provide us with information concerning your identity as recorded in your account details on these social media platforms. Otherwise you can register by providing information such as your name and email address through the form in My Hong Kong Guide.
- Contacts: By giving us access to your phone book contacts, you can invite Friends to download the App and design trips together. Please note that the person you invite as a friend will need to explicitly accept your invitation in order to be included in your friend list.
- Location: We obtain information about your current location to suggest nearby places of interest and provide you with location-sensitive content. Please note that iOS users can disallow location access anytime in the device’s app settings.
- Phone: Giving us access to your phone allows you to contact any listed entry by directly clicking on that entry’s phone number in the App.
- Photos/Media/Files: Giving us access to your device-stored photos and media files allows you to add stickers to photos taken with your phone. Please note that iOS users can disallow access to their device-stored photos in the device’s app settings.
- Camera/Microphone: Giving us access to your camera allows you to take photos and edit them with stickers provided through the App. Please note that iOS users can restrict My Hong Kong Guide’s access to the camera function in the device’s app settings.
- Wi-Fi connection info: We use this information to detect if your phone is connected to a Wi-Fi network. Through the device’s app settings you can further allow the usage of cellular data, in which case roaming charges may apply.
The above information may also be used for purposes such as:
- verifying your identity and assisting you if you forget your username or password;
- enabling user registration, which in turn allows your created guides to be saved and displayed to you and your friends;
- customising the promotional content that you and your friends receive;
- sharing time-sensitive content such as events and limited offers.
Account registration allows you to create, save, edit and share customised itineraries. To register for an account, you need to input your email address (unless you choose to log in through Facebook or Weibo), name and provide a password for authentication. Please note that you may choose not to register and still be able to access tourist attractions, events, shopping and dining information.
Where we store your information
If you opt to register with us, your email address, name, password, local check-in information, as well as any guides you generate and any other information collected by the My Hong Kong Guide will be stored in our backend servers located in Hong Kong. You acknowledge that this will necessarily require your information to be transferred and processed outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and consent to such transfer and processing. This storage is necessary in order for us to save your customised guides, stickers and wishlist items, as well as enable you to edit and share the guides.
Should you wish to delete your account and have all your content and personal data removed from our database, you can do so by emailing us at info@DiscoverHongKong.com. Once your account is deactivated, we will delete your data from our servers and send you a confirmation.
Managing your data and content
With your explicit consent, My Hong Kong Guide also allows you to share any guides you create with your friends. You can control the level of sharing through the following privacy settings:
Only your guide members: Selecting this setting means that the guides you generate will be accessible by yourself and other people you have invited. You can select anyone from your friend list and include them as a guide member upon their consent.
Public: Selecting this setting means that the guides you generate can be seen by all other users of My Hong Kong Guide when they select your user name. The Hong Kong Tourism Board also reserves the right to feature selected guides on selected sections of My Hong Kong Guide, such as the homepage and relevant attraction pages.
We use a tracking software development kit (“SDK”) in relation to the App, which collects data about App downloads, installs and usage such as page view and number of registration.
The Hong Kong Tourism Board will take reasonable steps to ensure that all information we collect, use or disclose is accurate, complete, up-to-date and stored in a secure environment accessed only by authorised persons.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will use our best endeavours to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted via My Hong Kong Guide and any transmission is at your own risk. We give no warranty against third parties hacking into the data or any unauthorised access to the data by anyone.
Third-party access to your information
We do not rent or sell your personal information to anyone. We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- who help us run My Hong Kong Guide, solely for the purposes of running My Hong Kong Guide. These third parties might for example include hosting service providers;
- if we are involved in any form of corporate restructuring under which our assets are transferred to an acquiring entity, in which case personal data held by us will be one of the transferred assets;
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation, or in order to enforce or apply any legal agreement between you and us.
Third party websites
My Hong Kong Guide may contain hyperlinks to websites or digital media not owned by the Hong Kong Tourism Board. We are not responsible for the content of such entities, or for the manner in which those entities collect, hold, use, and distribute any personal information you provide. When visiting a third party website from hyperlinks displayed on My Hong Kong Guide, we encourage you to review the privacy statements of those websites so that you can understand how the personal information you provide will be collected, held, used and distributed.
Your rights and access to your information
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal information for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your information) if we intend to use your information for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by contacting us at info@DiscoverHongKong.com.
Hong Kong Tourism Board
9-11 Floor, Citicorp Centre
18 Whitfield Road
E-mail: info@DiscoverHongKong.com, Fax: +852 2503 6114
Should you need more detailed information about the Hong Kong Tourism Board’s personal information collection policy, please visit www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/about-hktb/privacy-policy.jsp.
Updated in August 2015